Military church of the Holy Mother the Queen of Poland
Marii Konopnickiej 5
The present catholic church of the Holy Mother the Queen of Poland was built as a military church of the Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession for the Army of the German Empire. Its construction began in 1913, and was finished in 1915. The church was built according to the project of Ludwig Dihm, an architect from Berlin.
After WWII, the church was transformed into a military catholic church. At present, it serves both the military and civilian parish.
The body of the building is comprised of a 3-nave body, a transept and a separate presbytery. A 58m-high tower is topped by a dual helmet with pyramidal finials.
Murals of 1914 depicting the apostles and a pre-war sculpture – The Final Supper – have survived in the presbytery. There are also: a 2.5m-high crucifix and a painting of the Holy Mother of Częstochowa. 1958 polychromes which decorate the interior of the church present scenes of the Baptism of Poland, the battle of Grunwald and the combat route of the Polish Army during WWII.