The Queen Louise School
ul. Wyzwolenia 30
In 1873 the first ever school in Olsztyn to teach girls from different religious backgrounds was created. In 1888 the school moved to the building on the corner of the current streets of Wyzwolenia and Skłodowskiej-Curie. The number of students grew, and therefore in 1900 the building was expanded. In 1907 the school was given the name of Queen Louise.
Today, the renovated building of the former school is the seat of the City Council and several departments of the City Office. Previously, for many years it housed a private college.
The building was constructed of red brick, in the neo-Gothic style, and its facade evokes the Rhenish Romanesque cathedrals. All the decorative elements are made of bricks; however, the name of the designer of the building remains unknown. Robert Luckhardt, Olsztyn’s former architect, was responsible for the expansion of the building – the style of which was compatible with the original one.
The patroness of the school, Louisa of Prussia (1776-1810), was the wife of the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III. She was famous for her features, such as her beauty and indomitable character, which were appreciated even by her adversary Napoleon Bonaparte.