A Cemetery Chapel, now the Orthodox church of the Protection of the Mother of God
Aleja Wojska Polskiego 38
The building which now houses the Orthodox parish was first established as an Evangelical cemetery chapel. The latter was erected in the cemetery founded in 1886. It was designed by Paul Christian Zeroch, the later architect of the city. Built of red brick in 1903-1904, it is maintained in the Neo-Gothic style and with a separate chancel.
In addition to the funeral church services, the chapel held Sunday masses for the Evangelical population living in the district of Zatorze. After World War II the church was transferred to the Orthodox community and, in 1947, the church became an Orthodox parish. It is equipped with iconostasis and other items related to the rites of the Eastern Church. In time (2001), the construction was modified by adding domes with Orthodox crosses in place of the Neo-Gothic pinnacles. Next to the church a large wooden cross was placed. And in 1972,
a surrounding cemetery was turned into a park.