The Jerusalem Chapel of the Holy Cross
Władysława Jagiełły 1
A small Jerusalem chapel (a rectangle of about 8x6m) was built in the second half of the 16th century, and belongs to the oldest surviving monuments in the city. The exact date of its construction is not known, but its first reference dates back to 1565. The sanctuary was dedicated to the worship of the Lord’s Passion.
Until the 17th century the chapel was the center of spiritual support for the patients of the nearby hospital of St George, who suffered from contagious diseases. In the neighbouring cemetery the victims of an epidemic were buried. In 1609, the sanctuary was rebuilt and in 1775 restored. The chapel was renovated several times, the last time in 2008-2009.
Inside the building there is an altar with a statue dating from around 1510 which shows the scene of the crucifixion of Christ. Next to it, in a small garden, there is a cross commemorating the victims of the cholera epidemic of 1866. The Jerusalem chapel is the only religious building in Olsztyn which organizes masses for the deaf.