Stefan Jaracz Theatre
1 Maja 4
The Stefan Jaracz Theatre is the oldest theatre in Warmia and Mazury and one of the most important cultural centers in the region. It promotes both drama works belonging to the canon of world literature as well as independent art projects by young artists.
The plan of the creation of the theatre goes deep into the past. In 1908, the mayor of the city Oscar Belian made a decision to construct the very building. In 1912, for the purpose of the headquarters for the existing theatre movement that formed in the second half of the 19th century, a property called “Kamieniem nad Łyną” was purchased. The construction, however, did not come to fruition back then.
The theatre had to wait another 13 years until the opportunity arose, which the Germans used for propaganda purposes. The imposing building was built, according to the project of August Feddersen, “in gratitude to the public” for winning the 1920 plebiscite of defining the nationality of the region. Then, “Der Treudanktheater” came into existence – being built in just eight months. Its shape represented a classical style adapted to modernist trends in architecture.
During World War II the building did not suffer and remained unscathed. In 1945 Stefan Jaracz was chosen for its patron and in the following year his statue was set in front of the building. In 1997 the main staircase and the facade of the theatre were rebuilt. In turn, in 2010 began a three year revitalization of the entire facility. Since 2006, the theatre has had the status of a National Cultural Institution.
Artistic activity of Olsztyn
The first performance was staged in September 1925 with the premiere of “Faust” by Goethe. Over the next 20 years all the plays were presented only in German, even the operas and operettas of famous composers. Polish repertoire had a debut here in November 1945, with the launching of "Moralność Pani Dulskiej” by Gabriela Zapolska, a Polish novelist. Since that time, although the theatre has grown to four stages, the main one called the Big Stage (Scena Duża) has stayed true to staging the classic works of Polish and international playwrights.
The theatre is not closed to artistic novelties. Contemporary art dominates the Chamber Stage (Scena Kameralna), while independent and experimental forms of drama are shown on the Margin Stage (Scena Margines). In turn, the Stage at Sewruk (Scena u Sewruka), was named in recognition of the theater’s director from the 60s of the last century. In here, the public can admire the skills of the students from Olsztyn’s acting school which has been operating since 1991. In 2013 the coming back of the renovated building was celebrated with the release of “Damy i Huzary” by Aleksander Fredro.
On the initiative of the theatre, important recurring events are held in the city, such as the International Theatre Festival “Demoludy” and Olsztyn Theatre Meetings.
wtorek: 11:00 - 19:00
środa: 11:00 - 19:00
czwartek: 11:00 - 19:00
piątek : 11:00 - 19:00
sobota: 11:00 - 19:00
niedziela: 11:00 - 19:00